Sun damage is one of the most frequent skin problems we see at Farber Plastic Surgery. It makes sense, as our office is located in Boca Raton, arguably one of the best beach cities in Florida. Sun damage may be inevitable, but you don’t have to let it ruin your skin. And, if you have sun damage, we have treatment options.
What Does Sun Damage Look Like?
We are often asked, “Is this sun damage or just aging?” The truth is, sun damage and aging are linked together, and it is often impossible to tell one from the other. UV damage accelerates aging, causing wrinkles and discoloration to appear much earlier and much more severely than they would otherwise. Experts estimate that 90% of all visible skin aging is actually caused by the sun.
Treatments for Sun Damage in Boca Raton, FL
Sun damage happens, even when you’re careful with your sun habits. Let us help you restore and repair your skin from summer’s sun damage.
- Chemical Peels- Shed damaged layers of skin and reveal the fresh, new skin that is hiding underneath. A chemical peel uses an acidic solution to remove the outermost layers of skin. Mild peels work superficially and are ideal for quick rejuvenation with no downtime. Deeper peels can provide dramatic skin rejuvenation in just 1-2 treatments.
- Laser Resurfacing– One of our most powerful options for skin rejuvenation, laser resurfacing uses concentrated laser energy to target skin damage and boost the growth of healthy skin cells. Laser treatments are effective and versatile. We use them to treat many types of sun damage including age spots, freckles, wrinkles, and more.
- Microneedling– Help your skin to heal itself with a Boca Raton microneedling treatment. Small needles puncture the skin, creating systematic damage that helps to heal the skin. Microneedling is also called collagen induction therapy because of its ability to dramatically boost collagen growth in the skin.
- Injectables– When you think about cosmetic treatments for sun damage, Botox® and dermal fillers probably don’t top the list, but they should. These treatments provide quick and easy options for treating wrinkles, a common sign of sun damage. Botox works best on dynamic wrinkles, also called expression lines. Fillers are versatile and can plump the lips, restore facial volume, and smooth out lines and creases.
Not sure which treatments you need? Come in for a consultation with Dr. Farber. After an examination and discussion of your treatment goals, he’ll create a customized treatment plan, designed just for you.
Stop Future Sun Damage in Its Tracks
Without a time machine, the only thing you can do about past sun damage is treat it using one of the procedures mentioned above. Our skin rejuvenation treatments can dramatically reverse the signs of sun damage and restore healthy and youthful skin. But, prevention is always easier than repair. How do you prevent sun damage?
- Use Sunscreen– Are you using daily sun protection? Dr. Farber recommends using sunscreen every day, rain or shine. Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15. Apply liberally; most of our patients don’t use enough. If you need help choosing a sunscreen, get in touch and we’ll help you select one from the Obagi® or ZO® Skin Health lines that we carry.
- Minimize Time in the Sun– Minimizing time in the sun is also an effective strategy for reducing sun damage. When you can, avoid outdoor activities during the sun’s peak hours (usually from about 10 am to mid-afternoon). If you are outdoors, find shade and wear hats and protective clothing. We know avoiding the sun can be difficult living in beautiful Florida, so hats, sunscreen, and layers are your skin’s best friend.
Treating sun damage requires a two-prong approach: prevention and treatment. We can help you with both of these sun damage essentials at Farber Plastic Surgery, a premier plastic surgery practice in Boca Raton, FL. Call us today at 561-503-2700.