The Advantages of Seeing a Plastic Surgeon vs. a Dermatologist for Cosmetic Procedures
If you’re considering a cosmetic procedure, you may be wondering if you should see a plastic surgeon or a dermatologist – what’s the difference?
The main differences between plastic surgeons and dermatologists are training and knowledge:
- Anatomy: Plastic surgeons are experts in facial anatomy, therefore they know the best way to hide scars from facial surgery or mole removal.
- Aesthetics: Plastic and reconstructive surgeons also have extensive training in aesthetics, so they know how to get the best results from injectables and other cosmetic techniques.
- Skills: Plastic surgeons, on the other hand, are skilled in both invasive and non-invasive techniques and can perform the procedure that is best suited for the condition. Dermatologists have only one skill set in non-invasive procedures so treatments can’t be tailored to a specific need.
Dr. Scott Farber, a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon in Boca Raton, Florida, recommends choosing wisely when it comes to aesthetic procedures, especially for the face:
“Consumers should always seek plastic and reconstructive surgeons for noninvasive procedures, given their vastly superior knowledge of facial anatomy, ability to deal with complications and revisions, and the capacity to choose the best facial rejuvenation technique for each patient using either non-invasive or invasive techniques.”
Why You Should Choose a Plastic Surgeon Over a Dermatologist
Board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeons also understand skin care. Much like dermatologists, they can evaluate and diagnose problematic areas of the skin and give recommendations based on those assessments. Unlike dermatologists, plastic and reconstructive surgeons can provide both appropriate noninvasive and/or invasive techniques in order to fully restore the skin’s condition back to health. Plastic surgeons should be considered the first choice over dermatologists for these reasons:
– Superior knowledge of facial anatomy
– Ability to perform both invasive and noninvasive procedures
– Ability to handle complicated skin issues under extreme conditions
– Offer more facial rejuvenation solutions
– Extensive skin care knowledge
Cosmetic surgery is widely associated with breast augmentations and facial rejuvenation. Facelifts, fat grafting, and Botoxcan improve a patient’s mental and physical well-being. Plastic surgeons’ distinguished skills and knowledge, from reconstructive surgeries to non-invasive procedures, like laser treatments and scar revision, make them the best choice for skin rejuvenation and reconstruction.
When a dermatologist recommends a patient seek more extensive care, a plastic and reconstructive surgeon becomes the more viable source. Patients should always seek a plastic and reconstructive surgeon for both invasive and noninvasive procedures, while a dermatologist should be reserved for routine visits and monitoring to better serve your body.
For patients in the Boca Raton, Ft. Lauderdale and Miami areas, Farber Plastic Surgery is a Board-certified institute for skin care, rejuvenation and reconstruction. With a state-of-the-art cosmetic surgery facility and a highly trained staff, Farber Plastic Surgery offers patients a natural way to enhance and rejuvenate the body, mind and soul. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Farber to see how you can restore your youth and vitality. Call 561-503-2700 or click here.